Gay Games 2023: November 2023
Guadalajara is set to host Gay Games 2023 in November 2023 when athletes of all ages, athletic experience, and sexual orientation will participate in more than 20 sports. These include Diving, Swimming, Water polo, 5k – 10k race, Marathon & Half marathon, Badminton, Basketball, Beach volleyball, Bowling, Cheerleading, Dance, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Wrestling, Powerlifting, and Pink Flamingo. The registration link will be posted in the coming months. Follow Gay Games Guadalajara on Instagram.
Pride Celebrations: every May/June
Jalisco is host to some of the largest Pride celebrations in Latin America (in both Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara).
- Guadalajara Pride is one of the largest pride parades in Latin America. The celebrations and pride parade follow a week of cultural events focused on the LGBTQ+ community. Some activities also include art/cinema events and human rights conferences.
- Puerto Vallarta’s Annual Vallarta Pride festival takes place at the end of May each year. The 10-day event includes an anti-homophobia march, a Pride Rally, concerts, fashion shows, drag shows, and more.
Prohibido: every June/July
Guadalajara hosts Prohibido every June as a local cultural festival that celebrates sexual diversity in all its expressions. First debuted in 2018, Prohibido features art installations and interactive experiences. It’s usually timed with Guadalajara Pride in June though has been known to take place in July, as well. Check in with their Facebook page for confirmed dates.
Annual Festivals and Other Events:
- The city’s International Film Festival, Latin America’s most prestigious film festival, features the “Premio Maguey Award” for the best of LGBTQ+ cinema. Filmmakers to watch include Eduardo Esquivel and Omar Robles, the directors of “Las Flores de la Noche.”
- The Guadalajara International Book Fair is the world’s second largest book fair and has a LGBTQ+ literature section.
- Puerto Vallarta’s white parties are gay dance festivals. Puerto Vallarta will be host to three white parties in 2022 during major U.S. holidays: Halloween, Thanksgiving, and New Years Eve.
- There’s been an evolution of mariachi and folk ballet performances with acceptance of all sexual orientations, including members of all-female and LGBTQ+ mariachi bands. is a group of folk ballet dancers with eight trans and gay men. It was formed on June 19, 2018 with the commitment to rescue their traditions with respect and diversity. Their very first performance was at San Pedro Fair in Tlaquepaque.
JALISCO STATE GOVERNMENT LGBTQ+ EFFORTS
Jalisco, Mexico is furthering its efforts to prioritize its LGBTQ+ community and attract LGBTQ+ travelers. Legal actions have included:
- Jalisco, Mexico is the only state in Mexico to employ a Sexual Diversity Director in its government. Andrés Treviño, Jalisco’s first Sexual Diversity Director, was instated in December 2018 to guide the state on LGBTQI+ goals and issues through public policy and more. He has been successful with the implementation of important legislation to address issues important to the community.
- Jalisco is the first and, at the moment, only Mexican state to recognize trans kids’ and youth rights to their legal identity.
- Jalisco is one of the few Mexican states that has legislation over hate crimes.
- Jalisco has a local law to promote equality that explicitly establishes the affirmative actions that must be taken to promote LGBT+ equality.
- Gay marriage is legal in the state of Jalisco.
Guadalajara Bars, Nightclubs & Restaurants:
Guadalajara has a high number of LGBTQ+ bars and nightclubs with more than 50 LGBTQ+ businesses. Guadalajara’s top gay neighborhoods can be found in both Zona Rosa and the downtown area.
Local drag performers and the in Guadalajara have positioned the city as a queer capital because of the talent. is a local drag platform that celebrates the world of drag and established the “2020 Drag Yearbook” that documented all drag queens that created virtual content during the 2020 COVID-19 lockdown.
Babel Club: Disco situated over two floors with four different spaces: lobby bar, terrace, pop music room, and electronic music room with cocktails, DJs & light shows
Cabaret VIP: Gay bar with drag shows and karaoke
Envy Guadalajara: Relaxed gay club with cocktails and dancing to DJ'd music
La Casa de Las Flores: Bar with trans show competitions, standup, karaoke, and live musical events
Xiquito Baresito: Bar with music, drag shows, food, and more
Génesis Disco: Retro discotech
SinFin Cantina: Food and drinks on the terrace and live shows
California’s bar: A Mexican style cantina located in the main gay area of Centro Historico
Green Light Bar: Gay terrace and lounge with go-go boys, drag queen shows, and live music
Xico Antrx: Nightclub/bar with go dancers, live music, and drag queen performances
Caudillos Disco Bar: Gay club situated over three floors with a deck, multiple bars, dance floors, drag shows and more. It’s located opposite of food joint Tacos Gay.
Puerto Vallarta Bars & Nightclubs:
The hub of gay life in Puerto Vallarta is the Romantic Zone, home to a broad range of gay-owned and managed bars, nightclubs, restaurants, hotels, and shops.
Cc Slaughters: Dance club open all night until early morning with regular events, celebrity DJ shows and more
Paco’s Ranch: Nightclub with the motto: “Dance, drink and play the cowboy way”. The club draws in a diverse crowd who come to enjoy the daily shows and events that take place at night.
Wet Dreams: Gay lounge bar for men that’s home to the first shower strip show in Puerto Vallarta. The shows occur daily with “Amateur Hour in the Shower” taking place every Sunday and Monday.
Blondies Loft + Slushbar: Trendy gay bar with bright decor, offering premium frozen and craft cocktails
Mr. Flamingo: Lively gay cocktail bar in the Romantic Zone with a tiki bar vibe and relaxed atmosphere
La Chachalaca & Bar: Home to the ChaCha Queens and (self-proclaimed) the city’s best drag performers
Reinas Bar: An eclectic atmosphere that attracts a more mature crowd and drag queens. Reinas means “Queens” which is indicated in the décor.
Divas Bar: A gay restro-bar that attracts a mix of locals and tourists who want to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and drag shows that take place weekly